October 10, 2012

Letting Go

This letter is to Marla Cilley. Founder and CEO of FlyLady.net, a website to help people overcome clutter and help them manage their house. I found these words to be so very truthful. About a lot of things...


Dear Marla,

My teenage niece visited last winter. Having never lived in a cold climate, she was delighted when it snowed. She decorated and dated a jar, filled it with snow and put it in the freezer to take home. To no avail, I explained that the fluffy snow would harden to ice, melt before we got to the airport - that no matter what she does to preserve it, she can't bring snow home...

Now, cleaning the freezer, I find her jar with a clump of ice that used to be snow, and smile at my niece's folly - preserving snowflakes. A God Breeze from Flylady gently reveals my hypocrisy - all the snowflakes I try to preserve, in my sentimental clutter.

FlyLady asks "need, use, love" in decluttering. When I come across sentimental items from friendships, I wonder whatever happened...if she retired, if her son is still having problems, if she ever got married, divorced, finished her degree, if her cancer came back; is she still alive? I think, I should look her up, get in touch, one of these days...but I don't feel a compelling urge to do so, right now. I think I "need" to keep the sentimental item, because someday, I might call...

But, I never do, get in touch. I never have gotten in touch. I never will.

The wondering is a detached curiosity, nothing more. Something inside me understands that the beautiful snowfalls of early winter in a place far away can't be recreated in this season of my life. I see it so clearly, in my niece's frozen snowflakes, the difference between what "was" and what "is" - what I don't "need" to keep, what I must leave behind. I don't "need" a reminder on my wall, to remember to call a friend. People I went to school with, worked with, neighbors, met in various organizations... these people are no longer friends... as a chunk of ice in a jar is no longer snow.

Flying is knowing that most of what I experience is ephemeral, meant to be noticed and appreciated in the moment it happens. Enjoying the snowfall, letting it melt away, letting go of what was, loving what is.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment